Monday, April 7, 2014

The Little Book Of Scones


The 'Twenty-First Century Scone'


It all began with Rosie.

If you have been a visitor to this space, you know friend Rosie. You also know she is the ultimate Scone aficionado and a superior friend. From her farm in Norfolk she creates the most astonishing meals and delectable scones, never forgetting the clotted cream and jam.

As I was (sorrowfully) leaving her at a train station, she handed me The Little Book Of Scones. It slept within the depths of my suitcase for some time, but at last I pulled it out, read, and fell in love. Today is my first opportunity to bake from it.

The authors of this sweet little book are a husband and wife team who adore and bake scones. As well, they often provide these sweet and savory treats at East London's Broadway Market on Saturdays. I am looking toward an upcoming journey there, and will certainly appear at that Market with pounds and pence ready to purchase. 


Their website is:
 allscone.com

Today I chose their very first scone recipe to bake at SconeTherapy, here in this sweet woodland town. While preparing, I discovered that the recipe calls for Bird's Custard Powder, which I did not have and did not know how to get. Of course, I had known about Bird's Custard Powder for over 20 years, having tasted and loved it the years we lived in England. But it was there, not here - I assumed. I emailed Rosie and she helped me find it not 20 miles from here! Now, I was set.





American measurements:

3 2/3 cups self-raising flour plus some for dusting
1 1/2 sticks cold butter, cut into small lumps
2 large pinches of salt
heaped 1/3 cup super fine sugar
1 teaspoon custard powder (Bird's!)

2 large eggs
6 tablespoons buttermilk plus some for brushing

Place flour, butter and salt in a bowl and rub together with your fingers, until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Add sugar and custard powder.

Whisk together the eggs and buttermilk until fluffy (makes them especially light and tall). Combine liquids with flour mixture until smooth. Roll out onto floured surface until about 1 1/4 inch thick. Carefully cut out your scones and place on floured baking sheet. Brush with buttermilk. I also sprinkled caster sugar over them, although the recipe did not say this. Bake at 375F approximately 20 minutes (it took mine longer, but just keep watch). They should come out when golden brown.

Creators Liam & Grace have given us a gift here - the scones came out of our ovens having risen to staggering heights, hot and smooth on the inside, slightly crusty on the out. With butter, jam, and cream, dear husband and I waited not one minute. We loved this scone recipe! 








Do try this at home! It is safe, tasty, and fulfilling. But don't forget the cream.

And thank you, friend Rosie!  


See you along the way!
the SconeLady


No comments:

Post a Comment