Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Little Book Of Scones (2)

For Those Who Use Metric





I left out something important last night - measurements in grams as opposed to cups and 'sticks' and teaspoons! So below I have added this detail for those of you who work it out metrically. And I should have done so before.

Basic Sweet Scone recipe:

450g or 3 2/3 cups self-raising flour plus some for dusting
175g or 1 1/2 sticks cold butter, cut into small lumps
2 large pinches of salt
75g or heaped 1/3 cup super fine sugar
1 teaspoon custard powder (Bird's!)

2 large eggs
6 tablespoons buttermilk plus some for brushing 
(note: I added extra buttermilk, as the dough seemed a bit dry with just the 6 tablespoons)
(Recipe courtesy of All'Scone)

In case today is your first foray into SconeTherapy, please check out yesterday's post for the rest of this recipe.

The inclusion of grams for you is important to me because Rosie and I worked through these measuring differences during our scone-making adventure in 1992. I had eaten and enjoyed Rosie's scones many times, and wanted to learn to make them for my family. Only her recipe used grams and even a scale for weighing the ingredients! So I brought my measuring cups and spoons out to her farm, where we weighed and then measured each ingredient. My notes of this collaboration are here:

And since we are talking about international cooking collaborations, I want to take the opportunity to welcome my readers from all over this wide world. "Welcome!" I say, to those of you from the USA, and (in no particular order):

France
     Germany
          United Kingdom
               Canada
                    Hong Kong
                         Malaysia
                              India
                                  Poland
                                       Russia
                                             Taiwan
                                                  China
                                                       Indonesia
                                                            South Korea
                                                                 Serbia
                                                                       Australia
                                                                            New Zealand
                                                                                  Venezuela


You are most welcome here! We each share a love of scones, it is plain to see. Thank you for joining the SconeLady, and reading along each day.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady


                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment