Friday, May 2, 2014

End of One, Beginning of Another (part 18)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vpasson/3896810248/


I stood in front of the open closet and wondered what on earth I should wear. What does one wear when singing for a campus Christmas party of unknown size? In the closet was strewn the usual 1970s garden variety clothing - casual, with the occasional dress. Should it be a dress? (what I wouldn't have given for a Nordstrom right about then).

So I decided on the Granny dress (did I look too much like a hippie?), grabbed up the guitar, and scurried toward the Memorial Union.

They had said to go to 'Room 9', which sounded small enough. But this room, in fact, spanned the depth of the M.U. ground floor. And it was simply crammed with students, a stage and - one single chair on the stage. I gulped, sat down in the first row, and waited to be told what to do.

I turned and saw group of Sorority girls gliding in on a cloud of expensive scent (I had forgotten all about scent). They were wonderfully dressed and everything matched, and - were those high heels? Oh, dear.

All at once it seemed to me that this just would not do. I could not get up there, not in this nervous state. I clutched the guitar and approached someone in charge. "Um, excuse me - do you know of a place I could pray?" 

"There is a room next to this one you might use. I think someone is getting ready for a skit in there, but you can always try."

I knocked on this door, and to my surprise it was opened by The Lone Ranger himself, and someone named 'Nell' - who was really a guy dressed in a pink and frilly dress and bonnet. In some confusion I said, "Hello, excuse me do you think I could pray in here? I have to sing.."

I was momentarily distracted by the fact that The Lone Ranger was rather dazzlingly handsome. Really, one would have to travel quite far to find anyone as dazzlingly handsome as The Lone Ranger...

But - I needed to pray and they needed to practice. Which we did until someone banged on the door. "It's time! They're starting!"

I followed the skit players through the door and into the hall crammed full of expectant students. All I could think was, Here I am, at a seminal moment in my life..

..and I am wearing a Granny dress.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady


photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vpasson/3896810248/">Valeri-DBF</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment