Friday, October 30, 2015

Cornwall Day 28 - Surfin' USA on Changeover Day


Changeover day! There were more roller bags on cobbles than I ever thought possible today. People all around me were exiting their cottages, locking the doors, looking sad and downtrodden - and pulling heavy bags off in some direction or other. Just about everyone but me was heading in the direction of the station, for The Great Western Railway was busy today. 




But it wasn't busy taking me anywhere, as I was headed only 3 blocks away to a new cottage! It was a spot I was eager to get to, knowing it would be UTTERLY SWEET AND ADORABLE. It would have a juke box, and SMEG appliances (look it up), and retro everything, with a cute 50's sign that says, "Oh, I'm sorry. You must be confusing me with the maid we DON'T HAVE." Hahaha

As usual, the SconeLady bustled in, climbed the stairs, and began nosing around to see what she could see. They have the cutest little knick knacks and transformative decor that would make any retro-lover feel right at home (especially the milk jugs and cream pitchers, just like Mother's*). And as a cottage, it has the obligatory granite walls! Painted yellow, and pink, and my favorite light greet. Really, it is quite over-the-top.



Right now, the juke box is rockin' and rollin' right along. I heard Rosemary Clooney, Patsy Cline, Ella Fitzgerald, Johnny Mathis, AND the Beach Boys (hence the rock-n-roll), all radiating out of that Box like there was no tomorrow. Too completely cute!

But before I went to this spot (due to housekeeping getting it all spiffy), I made my way to The Digey Food Room for sustenance while I waited. And once more, Josh the scone-baker allowed a photo, and we discussed scones and scone-strategies. Each time I meet this man I learn something new! And this time I got to meet Alex-the-owner, whose recipes are as good as they get.

There was free Wifi and no limits on how long you can stay, so on I wrote, forgetting everything but the sweet story that deserves to be told.


The quintessential Cornish scone-baker



So here's to the Fifties, to juke boxes, to cream pitchers and milk jugs, and to all that is Mid Century Modern.

Just think...SMEG.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady



 

 (*our mother would have never plopped a milk carton down on the table, but always poured it into a lovely milk pitcher) (bk)

No comments:

Post a Comment