Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Cornwall Day 19 - 'Moist' in Any Other Language


Have I talked to you yet about cake? There was a piece of it, today - or at least, there was a part of a piece. It was all I could do to choke the bit down that I did have. But it looked so good.

If you are a Brit reading this, please forgive my opinions because maybe cake just tastes different to Brits than it does to Americans. To an American, there is almost nothing as good on the taste buds than a moist, buttery, chocolaty cake with moist, buttery, chocolaty frosting. It could be said that for this, we are always on the hunt.

But we must be excused for this because it is something we have been brought up to, and therefore, it is not our fault. So. I was on that hunt today, needing sustenance while writing postcards to 3 sweet darlings at home. Tea and cake and postcards all put together can be very satisfying, if all the elements are there.

And so I found a cake place just across from a bank where I could sit and watch people going by. In its pastry case, there sat a chocolate cake. It looked so good! "May I ask, is the cake - ah, moist, at all?" I asked timidly.

The two ladies behind the counter looked at each other, and then at me. "Certainly!" said one. "Oh yes!" said the other. "Quite moist!" cried both. And so I ordered a slice upon their hearty recommendation.

Presently, the cake and the tea came to my table, looking all wonderful and buttery. And then, I took a bite. I'm not sure exactly how to end this one, except that I may have discovered a genuine language barrier. 'Moist' in one country simply cannot mean the same thing as 'Moist' in another.

That is the only explanation I can give.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady





No comments:

Post a Comment