Thursday, June 8, 2023

(Cornwall Day 31) Last Full Day

 Sunrise this morning


Because it is the last full day, a portion of it has been spent with Jean. When I first came into her life, she was as fit as a fiddle and needed no extra help. She, Eric, and Pennie called themselves "The Three Musketeers" and went places together. I was lucky to be a part of those times and places, and I think I almost became a fourth 'Musketeer'. 

Then something happened, and a foot turned the wrong way during the making of a nice hot cup of tea. A hip was broken (oh, sad day) and things spun downwards for a while. But not out of control! 

Some time during these events, Eric was diagnosed with Leukemia. It did eventually take him, and that first Musketeer is much missed. But Jean is made of stern stuff, and sits in her chair with her Bible, welcoming visitors ("Please excuse my dressing gown, haha"), sweetly thankful for the small bites the SconeLady brings up the hill (especially pork pies).


Her birthday is coming up, so I brought her gift and card and we sat in a circle eating muffins and drinking tea. When I got ready to go, her eyes looked the same way mine did. A little damp around the edges. We don't know what changes may come within a year, but have determined not to see that as a worry. Last year we didn't know either, and yet here she is and here I am. 

"Goodbye Jean!" I called, and walked outside to her big window, waving and waving. The dogs barked at a cat that wanted to get a bird, but we ignored all of that stuff and just - looked. Then I turned, and left.

Walking around to my favorite St Ives haunts took my attention for a while, and I saw Knill's Monument, Carbis Bay Hotel, Tesco's, Man's Head Rock (where Eric stood in 1943 when a German bomber destroyed the gas works), and the Tate Museum. I might even enjoy a Moomaid ice cream, today. Perhaps it will be dark chocolate sorbet. After all, it will be a while before I have another crack at this!

Tomorrow's departure will include a cab ride, a little train ride, a big train ride, then next day a Heathrow Express ride, and a plane ride, drawing ever closer to my own Musketeer, driving in circles at an airport, waiting for me.

See you along the way!
the SconeLady












No comments:

Post a Comment