Wednesday, June 7, 2023

(Cornwall Day 30) Embarrassment of Riches

 


Being in a town filled with talent is just great. There is always something going on. Yesterday a friend said I should go see the Matt Carter Octet (an 'Octet' has guess how many people in it!) at the Western Hotel at 7:30, where you pay whatever you can, and just go on in. I figured it would be a sweet little local group that plays in basements, and did not have high expectations. 

I was the first to arrive, so I did what I always do - found the most perfect seat in the basement and put my feet up. Only it wasn't a basement! It was a decent staging area with tables, chairs, and the bar to order from and lean upon. THIS was where the people were clustering, and leaning. The bar maid was by herself and working her head off, but her customers were all very nice and gave her tips and teased her (I don't think people in St Ives worry too much about getting into trouble for teasing). The tables and chairs added up to about 75 potential listeners, and my perfect seating area was beginning to get crowded.

Finally there was a disturbance at the back, and eight young men walked onto the small stage, picking up their instruments and looking shyly out at us all. There was a baritone saxophone, an alto, and tenor sax (those three played in absolute tandem, with no mistakes or off-notes). Next to them was a trumpet (fabulous), and trombone (I could tell he had a leadership role because he made hand motions when it was time for somebody to do something). In the back was the drum and double bass, and to the far left sat Matt Carter at the piano. He not only plays, he writes much of the music they play. When you do that, you arrange each and every player's part, which means you must know their instrument. 


From the first note of the first song, we were all shocked. Soon every toe in that room was tapping, every face smiling, and every hand reaching into a pocket for cash to donate to this magnificent group. Matt introduced each tune, and the instrumentalist who would be the solo in it. He kept his eyes on that instrumentalist, nodding, smiling, encouraging as the thing went on and on. 

I could feel myself becoming a Groupie..


Then today my computer went bing! and a message came out that said, Organ Recital today at 1:00 pm. What! An embarrassment of riches! I had to get going because this was not something I wanted to waltz in late to. The St Ia Parish Church is awe inspiring, and an organ recital in it is every bit as awe inspiring. It would not be like a jazz Octet, of course, blasting out unbelievable tunes no one has ever heard before. But the organist was just as as talented. He is the organist at the Parish Church and had already made an impression on everyone who has walked through that door on a Sunday morning. 

It is time to turn a corner now, dear Readers, for my five weeks in St Ives is nearly done. I shall soon be in the arms of my sweet family. I can't wait to be in their audiences again, up close - their baseball games, ballet recitals, and choir performances. Nodding, smiling, and encouraging as darling life goes on...and on.

Grandma, the Groupie.



See you along the way!

the SconeLady

No comments:

Post a Comment