Tuesday, June 6, 2023

(Cornwall Day 29) Wild Church 2


Walking uphill to the Vicar's garden, a new feeling of resilience came over me, because - can you believe it? - I was not out of breath! Just a couple of years ago and I would have been positively gasping. (The secret is practice. You wouldn't have one without the other). So I almost skipped in through the garden wall and was met by a smile and someone calling me by name.

"How did you get here?" the lady with the pew sheet asked.

"I walked up."

"What? That's a long way, I'm sure we could arrange..."

But I said it was okay, that walking is all part of the fun of coming to Wild Church.

Approaching the tent, I knew right away that something terrific was going to happen, because I could hear the Vicar's wife and her friend rehearsing a song called "Power in my Slingshot". It tells the story of David vs Giant, and I already couldn't wait to hear it again.

After tea, and coffee, and cake-at-the-Shack, and as the little children stood together in the blue and white bus...there came the SONG. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccq9Vbp8xYY



I was hopeless at the hand motions, but they very perfectly described the song's meaning. I wish you could see AND hear them doing it, but there was no decent way to video without being a rude American. But I highly recommend you hear it (click the link above).

After the message (Isaiah 40, "Surely the nations are like a drop in a bucket" - the utter Hugeness of God -), there were 'explorer zones' for people to join, participate in and learn more deeply. As my little group introduced ourselves, I was surprised to all of a sudden hear a familiar accent.

"You're an American!" we both said.

"California?"

"Temecula!?"

30 minutes from my home! The western US accent in the midst of these Manchester, Norfolk, Cornish, and Devon folk was a lovely cacophony! 

Participating both in the 'high' church of that morning (choir robes and such), and the brisk joy of Wild Church, is terrific. It is one of the lovely silver linings behind the covid-related-lock-downs for the people of St Ives. They all know it, and speak to it. And they are thankful for it, which means being thankful for the covid-related-lock-downs. 

You wouldn't have one without the other.

See you along the Way!
the SconeLady






No comments:

Post a Comment