Thursday, June 1, 2023

(Cornwall Day 25) Along The Way To Land's End

  Land's End



It is almost the end of Half Term. Yay. I want my streets back.

It's been fun, though, seeing so many children enjoying St Ives. I think I might miss them. It isn't their fault that their numbers have overwhelmed one of the grownups. 

Most of the babies I have seen have either been asleep in a pram with a binky in their mouths, or asleep in the arms of their young fathers because mummy is exhausted and still in bed. Very few of the babies have screamed.

The young school children have been fun, too. They have gotten redder as the days pass, and some of them are beginning to peel. I wonder if sun screen has been in their mother's needful bags? because just about the whole family is red. I mean, these people were red the FIRST DAY they came. No working up to it gradually. The backs of necks are particularly uncomfortable looking.

The middle school kids on vacation have been a blast to watch. I see them as I sit on an open top bus, watching the passengers board. Today on the way to Land's End I saw a tousle-headed boy of about 9 appear up through the bus stairwell (a little bit self conscious), and look for a seat. He was followed by a second boy, maybe 11 and also tousle-headed, coming up through the well after which a third, 13, appeared, and a fourth important looking kid of about 16, who looked responsible. Behind them, a haggard looking mother and father climbed wearily up. 

I had no end of a good time hearing their jokes, laughter, and all around good time. It gave me a positive feeling about the youth of Britain.


So tomorrow is changeover day, through which I hope to pass without losing anything. Last year there were the Apple Ear Pods which were left in the bed because I'd been listening to a Rosamunde Pilcher book, and forgot about the Ear Pods. The Pods were white and the sheets were white, which meant I didn't see them and the housekeeping people didn't either. 

Two weeks ago I left two plastic containers of the best chewing gum in the world ("Ice Cubes"), in a drawer. It was almost worse than the Ear Pods! This best gum in the world does not exist in the UK, and therefore the loss was distressing. There seem to be no lost-and-founds in the travel world.

My changeover day will be spent with Cornish friends, well away from the bustle of people down here packing up and leaving. By around 4:00, I should find out if I've finally got my streets back. I hope so, but... I still might miss those kids.


See you along the way!

the SconeLady




No comments:

Post a Comment