Saturday, June 4, 2022

What Did Rosamunde Eat For Breakfast


It was important that I find Matthew at The Sloop. I do not have his phone number, but I know he gathers there every morning for coffee in the sunshine with his friends. One will often see him leaning against the white wall of the place, wearing sunglasses, and jawing. It's all a part of St Ives.

I needed to talk to him about the Mousehole Male Voice Choir and rides to their rehearsals and such. It was so warm outside that everyone around The Sloop was wearing shorts or sundresses, leaning their heads back, soaking in the sunshine. 

"Y'alright?"

It was Matthew, and of course I said that I was. It is noticeable that when a Cornish woman greets you she says, "Hiya!", and when a Cornish man greets you it is with "Y'alright?" Both are lovely and I miss this in California. Californians just say "hey" or "dude".

We were starting our chat about choir rides when one of the men at Matthew's table called out, "Rosamunde Pilcher!" I sort of jumped and blurted, "Rosamunde Pilcher?", remebering that in my hand was a Rosamunde Pilcher book. I kept it with me because you never know when there might be a spare moment to fill with a few of her sentences. Her sentences are Gold.

"Oh, Roger's mother was Rosamunde's cousin," explained Matthew. 

"What?" I almost screamed. Was I actually meeting a man whose mother was MY HEROINE'S ACTUAL COUSIN? I hardly knew how to retort to this and wanted to know all about the cousin, where she lived, what Rosamunde ate for breakfast, and how many of her books Roger had read.

The men all looked at Roger, who shrugged and said, "None."

I was stunned. "Why on earth not?"

"Oh, I never read anything. Too much else to do."

"But surely you must want to read something by your famous and enviable 2nd cousin twice removed!" But no, whoever the famous and enviable proclaimed herself to be, Roger had zero interest in cracking any books. His famous relative is the main reason hundreds of thousands of her fans cram themselves onto the streets of St Ives every year. She is the reason German filmmakers produce boatloads of Rosamunde Pilcher films in German that become instantly and wildly famous.

"Have you seen any of her films?" I asked hopefully.

"Nope."

Now this was going too far. No books? No films? Dude.


See you along the way!

the SconeLady







No comments:

Post a Comment