Sunday, June 5, 2022

Platinum Jubilee

 


For weeks now I have awaited this Jubilee weekend, especially the church service that would be held in St Ia. Beginning at 11am would be the service itself, followed by a picnic and Cream Tea in the churchyard and then a Songs of Praise session, also outside. Weather-people gave out dire predictions of rain and wind which I absolutely refused to believe, and on purpose left my umbrella at the cottage.


The excitement of this event has animated everybody in town for weeks because - and this I truly believe - everybody loves the Queen. You should have seen the streets! Traffic was blocked off so the cafe owners could set out tables and chairs with white tablecloths and colorful bunting around them. There was bunting everywhere you looked! And women wore hats in bright colors that remind them of the Queen (the Queen likes bright hat colors, have you noticed?) and pretty dresses they had chosen with great care.

One woman just inside the door of the church had on a bright red straw hat with silver stars around the rim, and a few stars hanging off the side. It was the sweetest thing.

"That is the perfect hat!" I exclaimed.

"I've had this hat for all of 50 years now!" she replied. "Worn it to every Jubilee, I have, but I can't remember when it was I added the stars."

"It was when I was 8, Mother," murmured her fully grown and almost elderly son. She was clearly pleased to be able to wear it at what must be the last Jubilee for Queen Elizabeth. Her eyes beamed out almost as brightly as her hat.

Several other churches joined us at St Ia, and a right good crowd it was, too. As I walked in, the organist was playing something amazing, hands and feet pumping away while pulling out and pushing in all the stops at a great pace. When he was finished I wanted to clap, but just at the moment it didn't seem like the best idea. So I didn't.

"What do you think the Vicar's sermon will be about?" I had asked friend Rosie, who has descended upon St Ives with her Ted once more! 

"I expect it will be about service - the service Queen Elizabeth has given to her country, to her family, and to the world. He will likely talk about this because service is the key theme of the Queen's life." I liked the Queen even more, now that I had heard this.

"Do you think they will sing "God Save The Queen"? She could see I really wanted them to.

"I think today would be the perfect day for "God Save The Queen" in a church service. You can just about count on it."

And Rosie was right about the sermon! The Vicar encouraged us to think of others as more important than ourselves, and said that those who serve others will be the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven. Amen!

The *hymns were significant and powerful and it was all I could do to stand still during them. Surely no one would mind the American lady jumping up and down, just a teeny bit? But this also didn't seem like the best idea, so I stood still.

And then, "Ladies and gentlemen, please stand for the National Anthem." We stood and everybody sang out:

"God save our gracious Queen, long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!

Send her victorious, happy and glorious, long to reign over us, God save the Queen!"

Of course I couldn't jump and clap, so I cried instead. Down came the tears as I thought about this good woman, imperfect (as we all are, don't forget) and realizing it, but giving her service all the same. Lots of us were choked up and more than a few tears were shed. It was a lovely moment to share with these dear British cousins from over-the-sea. 

Thank you for welcoming me! Thank you for shaking my hand! Thank you for consistently shining the Light of Christ out to this world that so desperately needs it. 






See you along the Way!

the SconeLady


*Guide Me Oh Thy Great Redeemer

*Eternal Father, Strong to Save

*Praise My Soul The King Of Heaven


No comments:

Post a Comment