Wednesday, September 15, 2021

That First Phone Call


One of the sweetest parts of a trip to Cornwall is taking friends and family along! It has happened lots of times, and is about to happen again. In fact, my phone rang as I stood in line to order a lunch baguette from The St Ives Bakehouse (I like the large white baguette with cheese and tomato. It lasts me for lunch and dinner).

"Hello?" I said quietly, trying not to disturb my fellow line-standers. My sister's lovely, groggy voice groggily said, "Is it you?" 

"Of course it's me!" I laughed. "You've landed?" and we launched into animated chatter about how happy we were that the flight was over, and how many fun things we were going to do for a week. This discussion was satisfying to me as I inched forward in the long line. But I forgot to notice my voice as it pitched ever higher and louder in excitement. Looking up, I saw the people in line looking at me. The typical loud American. I even heard someone saying "Shh." 

I apologized, and switched back to whispering.

They will be with me in two days, just after their Day 2 covid test (I think it is rather harsh for the government to expect two jet lagged people in their seventies to figure out yet another, different, covid test that if they get it wrong, someone might come looking for them; and if one or both their results are positive, they will be stalked and put into the prison hotel. I hardly think it's fair).

But the two new arrivals are now safely tucked up into their Great Western Railway reserved seats, winging their way toward me! It's about to get real loud around here, St Ives. And I can hardly wait. 

See you along the way!

the SconeLady


Here's something interesting:
(Did you hear that people in the UK have an app on their phones that pings them whenever someone in their near vicinity has been exposed to you-know-what, and then they have to go home from work and isolate for ten days so no one can work and everywhere you go, they are 'short on staff''. I found this so confusing that it had to be explained to me several times).


The Coffin Trail, 2018














No comments:

Post a Comment