Thursday, September 16, 2021

A Cathedral In Truro







We met each other on the streets of Truro, she in her red coat and I, my swing dress. And there he was too, the great Larry with his British cap that blends right in and makes him look like anything but a tourist.

They had made it!

She saw me, lifted both arms in salute, and picked up her pace. I love her red coat because it means I can always pick her out in a crowd, and there will be crowds here. After disparaging the horrid and ridiculous hoops we had had to jump through just to get here, and with their Day 2 covid test needing to be taken today, we turned toward today's adventure: Truro Cathedral, the first of many 'larks' we have planned for the coming week.

But just getting to the Cathedral was scary, because Truro is busy and we kept being nearly hit by buses, cars, taxi, motorcycles, and even cyclists (please don't tell our mother) who seemed to think pedestrians do NOT have any sort of right away, and who really are just plain stupid. They thought that, because I kept forgetting to look the OTHER WAY from what we look in America. Every vehicle was in the wrong place, and somehow, nothing directional made sense.

"Look out!" my sister said (many times), and, "Bus!", as I stepped from the curb. At one point, both of her arms grabbed me literally from the jaws of death, placing me back onto the sidewalk as the white transit van sped past (there are a lot of white transit vans here, and they are always in a frightful rush).

We finally arrived for the 11:00 cathedral tour, the atmosphere blessedly quiet after that mad dash from the station. As we waited for our tour, from the sound system came the calming voice of (I assume) a priest, who welcomed us and led us all in The Lord's Prayer. I was touched by how many people around us knew the Prayer, and participated in their many different accents. Amen.

Our terrific guide gave us up-close-and-personal knowledge of this magnificent structure built between 1880 and 1910. The people of Cornwall donated their money and their skills, building huts to house themselves as the work moved forward. 

She shared so many details with us that, at this late hour, I would not do them justice here. But I will! And I need to share with you the splendid scones we ate afterward! And the adventure of completing their two covid tests and then looking for the Royal Mail, which was not where it was supposed to be, and took considerable walking, and backtracking, and phone calling, and not understanding why people from two countries with a shared language can never seem to understand each other.


See you along the way!

the SconeLady




1 comment:

  1. This is very entertaining, as are your others...your "Sconing" and walking around England blogs are delightful.

    ReplyDelete