Thursday, January 25, 2024

A Hobbit Along The Way

 

You cannot step foot in New Zealand without thinking about 'those' movies. Everything around you shouts out 'those' movies names. Which movies? Well, they are the movies that make you think about New Zealand, the lush green landscapes and stark blue skies and shockingly white mountains. Oh yes, and the pure, clean rivers, streams and lakes. I can only be referring to the unforgettable, unbelievably astonishingly fabulous Lord Of The Rings. We have now been thinking non stop about them for two straight days.

Maybe you remember that I re-visited New Zealand 20 years ago to travel and sing and look at anything remotely related to Lord Of The Rings, taking my sister with me. The locals seemed in a perpetual yawn whenever we asked them, wide eyed, about LOTR. Even in Hobbiton, three battered looking hobbit holes were just about the whole of the display. 

And then there came The Hobbit, with its sky high budget and over-the-top creativity. The film sets were fantastic, colorful, and precisely created the way they had been for LOTR, only this time no hideous rule about demolishing it all at the end. There are now 44 beautiful hobbit holes and a lake, with cute passages along which Gandalf and Frodo rode in their cart, and the Party tree with its May Pole and the spot where Pippin and Merry set off all the fireworks. All in all, it is a hobbit village fit for (very small) kings (and queens).

Yesterday we visited their Hobbiton-Movie-Set-Tour. When we climbed aboard the shiny new bus and settled into our plush new seats, the first thing we heard was the MUSIC of Lord Of The Rings. Nothing can draw you in like that. It was a real "You had me with hello" moment. I was so impressed and drawn in that I came back and did the whole thing all over again today, with an important addition: I went to their Hobbiton-Movie-Set-Tour-And-Meal-Combo! 

It was delicious, dear Readers. More than anyone could ever possibly finish, but of course they (and I) tried. And I have smashing pictures of it all, truly I do. But those pictures will not - however hard I try to convince them to - import! (Or is it export?) Well it's one of those two, and they simply will not do it. So for now, you won't be able to see the loveliness.

Maybe you will soon. I hope so.


See you along the way!

the SconeLady


No comments:

Post a Comment