Saturday, January 27, 2024

A Hobbit Along The Way (day two)

 The Mill at Hobbiton
(This is the only photo I was able to import today, so I have no photos of Matamata)


Greetings from Matamata!

After the first week of rekindling old memories and sharing new ones, I went off on my own simply to enjoy this pretty little town whose major industry seems to be a series of movies. Everything about Lord Of The Rings (and The Hobbit) makes this place hum. 

I haven't described for you yet the all-you-can-eat-hobbit-luncheon-buffet. To begin with, it was almost grossly huge, and the guides encouraged us to eat AS MUCH AS WE WANTED. I noticed that the men (and I) had generous portions on our very large plates, and their wives (and not I) were more delicate in their choices. The following items were on two large and groaning hobbit tables:

Ginger beer, sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips, Middle Earth Stew, green salad with a tasty dressing, roasted potatoes, creamy macaroni salad, freshly baked breads, grilled chicken legs, and roast beef. For dessert there was a separate table groaning with a variety of cakes - chocolate (best taste of the day), white cake, lemon cake with cream cheese frosting (did hobbits even use cream cheese?), apple crumble with heavy cream, and dessert squares one could eat with one's hands. After all this gluttony, our group was ushered out post haste because the next group was ready for their gluttony.

By this time I felt it was time to go to the airbnb, which is a one mile walk. I set out like any take-charge American walker, totally unaware of the effect I was having on the tour guides. They finally appointed one of themselves the task of approaching me.

"I'm sorry Ma'am, but we don't allow anyone on the road.. It is too dangerous, and anyway, you can't."

I was nonplussed and without words. In all the thousands of miles I have walked since 2011, not one person has suggested that I couldn't. I felt sorry for her though, because really, she was right. And not happy to have been forced into the bad cop role. 

"What should I do?" I asked.

"Where is your car?" she asked.

"I don't have a car," I said. 

"What about trying an Uber?" she whispered, because everyone up there knows that not one Uber driver has ever showed their face at the Hobbit Film Set Tour. But I said I would try. I also messaged my airbnb hostess that I would be a little later because I was walking down. Somehow she was able to get in her car and appear at the Film Set Tour in a matter of moments. She opened her window, called out my name, and said "GET IN".

This lady has turned out to be the most generous, sweet, and kind airbnb hostess. She has given me wonderful food and anything a traveler could possibly want. I can't go deeply into it right now because this blog post is already too long, and I am too sleepy. But I have to tell you this: her husband drove me to Matamata and back today so I could wander the streets and get my mileage in while he played golf. Then, they invited me for dinner at their house next door.

Dear Readers, New Zealand and its people are lovely. You really should come, and see. You will be made the most generous welcome, and, once you get the hang of their accent, they are extremely funny.

See you along the way!
the SconeLady

P.S. These are the items my hostess provided me with:
a half gallon of whole milk, home made blueberry coffee cake, yogurt, honey, jam, orange juice, fresh butter, tangelo marmalade, apricot jam, bread, bottled water, bananas, apricots, plums, bean bag coffee, tea bags, raw sugar, corn flakes, granola, weetabix, salted peanuts, salt and pepper, a HAIR DRYER, hair spray, bath robes, and all sorts of soaps just in case someone didn’t bring theirs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment