Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Cornwall Day 40 - eleven/eleven



As I came out of the cottage, church bells began to ring and no one was moving along Fore Street. All was silent. I, however, did move along it, strolling toward a shop but wondering suddenly why so many people had stopped in their tracks. And then I stopped too.

Presently, all at the same moment the people began to move on in their different directions, several of them dabbing at tears as they passed. I quietly spoke to a lady nearby. "Excuse me, Ma'am, but can you tell me why everyone had paused?"

She was definitely surprised, but said, "Oh - this was the moment of silence in Remembrance of those who had died in the wars. It happens every year on the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month."

I thanked her, and then asked, "But how did everyone know?" 

"They just do. Everyone does..." and she continued on, probably wondering about this hapless American. 

There had been no announcement, no flyers handed out, no news release to get everybody ready. They already were.

I wandered up toward the War Memorial, once more. Stood to gaze at the wreaths placed there two days ago. Found myself in good company, where everyone just stood, heads bowed. No one talked. 


See you along the way,
the SconeLady


No comments:

Post a Comment