Friday, November 6, 2015

Cornwall Day 35 - From 6,000 Miles


I had just unlocked the door and come through it when a Face Time request began to squeal. But where in the world was it coming from? The phones were supposed to be in Grandma's pockets, but - they weren't, and so I dashed around in a kind of wild search. It could have been anywhere, and so I held myself very still, and listened.

At long last, the squeal finally clarified its whereabouts, and I snatched it up. 

'Hello! Hello? I'm so sorry I forgot to bring the phones with me to town! Are you there?"

"Is that you Grandma?" said a sweet small face only a foot away from my head. "Yes my darling, it is I. How are you? What are you doing this morning?"

"I am READING, Grandma. READING!" said the excited voice. "Want me to read to you?" 

"Yes my pet, I would love it!" 

I watched and listened in admiration as page after page she read out the words with great ability (I used to be a teacher). The dimples never once left her cheeks as she patiently read, careful to sound out any rogue word that needed it. It was a feeling like no other (well, there was that first time her mother had read for me, and THAT day was an awful lot like this one).

Grandpa held the phone to facilitate this splendid show of knowledge, until suddenly I was jerked away and came face to face with 'Mr. Underpants Man' - without warning.

"Umm, I don't think I'm supposed to be meeting Mr. Underpants Man.."

Grandpa somehow caught the phone back and quickly rectified the gaffe, until all was (mostly) back as it should be. Mr. Underpants Man tried for another appearance or two, but then it was time for us to go.

"Goodbye, Grandma! Goodbye!" they cried.

"I love you, my darlings! Goodbye!" cried Grandma.


I caught a quick glimpse of Grandpa somewhere in the melee, looking baffled but kindly. No doubt, down deep he harbors the hope that Grandma will get home sooner, rather than later.



See you along the way!
the SconeLady




 



No comments:

Post a Comment