Saturday, February 28, 2015

Cornwall, Day 8 (Blond Bombshells)


It was decided that we would FaceTime at 3pm, which for me would be 11:00. Late, yes - but did that matter? I would see the three darling blondies just at the end of the school day and who, I say, wouldn't want to stay up for that?



The timing couldn't have been more perfect because they were just then climbing into the white van. Not yet strapped in, free as birds, they could bounce about to their heart's content as their mother held the phone. Grandma would catch glimpses of faces here and there as the energy gained momentum. The 7 year old hovered briefly in the frame and said with his own sort of enthusiasm, "Grandma! I've changed my mind!"

"Oh?" said I. "What did you change it to?"

"Well this is what. I'm thinking about a different LEGO now, not the one I thought of when you were here." And he held up his somewhat tattered and worn blue LEGO booklet.

"Really? But you wanted that other one quite a bit.." I was trying to keep up with all the different choices as they moved up and down the scale of importance.

"Well I'm getting used to changing my mind quite a bit and so I did it. Again. Besides, this one has a helicopter.." 

And then suddenly another face flashed onto the camera phone.

"Grandma it's me! Do you see my new pink sunglasses? They have polka dots." It was my darling girl-of-5. "I got them from GRACIEEEEEE!"

The phone darted back and forth, between the brother and the sister, and I wondered out loud where their smaller brother was.

"He's here, he's here!" they cried."That's his arm!"




The littlest was waiting patiently for his turn, and grinned out at me from behind the head rest. I smiled back at him. "Grandma I got a new truck.." he said quietly. We talked about the truck for a bit until it was time to go. It was such absolute fun to be included in a van with these small energizers. Even if, for a time, I must be a Grandma-from-afar.


Sometimes people get annoyed with technology. Think it is entirely too complicated for its own good and makes their lives more difficult. It may be all of those things to some people, and I almost agree with them at times. But just now, when I can be thousands of miles from home but still see my heart's desire? I'd say technology got this one right.




See you along the way!
the SconeLady



No comments:

Post a Comment