Friday, April 11, 2014

Meeting the Real Thing (3)

Chasing Authors


Our mother brought us up to be patient, respectful little girls, and certainly never pushy. Models of decorum, that's what we were. But she also whispered that a little determination, and even impatience, at times can be helpful. 

The Air Force brought my little family back to California, and the only real problem was it seemed just too far from the UK. Besides, what chance would I have of meeting any more British authors? Meeting James Herriot was a high point, and I wanted more.

(please see the December 6 post, "Meeting the Real Thing").

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pleeker/218938868/
Then suddenly, I heard that I might be able to meet a British (well, Scottish) author - Alexander McCall Smith. A favorite! We had been hearing a lot about The #1 Ladies Detective Agency series, and I'd already read three of them. McCall Smith was coming to Carlsbad, and I had to be a part of it!  So I called my good friend and we made plans to meet him together. 


He would speak at 1:00 pm. My feeling is, Never sit in the back if you can sit in the front. It works every time. I was there hours early, and sat outside the Library waiting for things to start stirring. Maybe catch a glimpse of McCall Smith (didn't). My friend arrived, and then more and more ladies arrived (strange, there were almost no men there at all..). 





At last, it was time to file in and hear the great man speak. My friend and I were in the 2nd row, perfectly situated to look up at him without getting a crick in our necks. He was funny. He was quirky. He liked us! (I think all British/Scottish authors like American ladies because they come with purses). Afterward we brought books for him to sign, and through it all he was gracious. Photos, comments, autographs, all in a day's work for someone like Alexander McCall Smith.  

If you have never read an Alexander McCall Smith book, you are lucky! This is because you have that experience still ahead of you. If you have read an Alexander McCall Smith book, you also are lucky for having had the experience. Either way, you win.

I think of that little blond girl at the top of this page, and of how many experiences lay ahead for me and my sister. I don't know if I will use the word 'lucky' here, now that I come to think of it. I would say something more like 'blessed'.

Yes, that's it. Blessed. Everything was definitely coming up Roses.




See you along the way!
the SconeLady









And here's something interesting for you writers: We learned that when Alexander McCall Smith writes a book, it stays as is. Once it comes out of his mind and onto the page (or computer), it is in need of no editing. He writes it already edited, rather like taking an enormously delicious cake out of an oven, all ready to eat.


photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/pleeker/218938868/">Matt McGee</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment